Locally owned and operated in Northeast Missouri:
The Abel brothers came to Louisiana August 1, 1940 when they acquired the Shell
Station at Fifth and Georgia Streets from Dutch Akers and Andy Cordes. The first five
years were interrupted by World War II, Ray being drafted in 1941, Alfred in 1942, and
Charles in 1943.
They retained control of the lease during the war years and on March 1st, 1946 the
brothers, now released from the Army, again took over operation of the station. After
buying it from the owners, the Presbyterian church, it was operated as a Shell Station
and Desota Plymouth Agency until 1952 when the car agency was discontinued.
Behind the station was a large wooden structure formerly used as a livery stable. This
later housed the Dunn & Creamer Oldsmobile Car Agency. This was property acquired
in the 1950's and was used for several years as a warehouse. Between the station and
the Post office was a small brick building once used by Mr. Mitchell as a monument
works. This was also acquired and later was torn down to provide additional space.
In 1951, the Duvall Bulk Plant and Agency at Clarksville was sold to Abel Brothers. In
1952, they purchased the MoonWinx Shell Station at Bowling Green from Mr. Claude
Shaon and shortly thereafter the Shell Station at Eolia
At this time, having become Shell agents and distributors the Abel brothers incorporated
and changed their identification to Abel Oil Company and Abel Realty Company. Alfred
was named president;Charles, vice-president; and Ray, Secretary and treasurer.
Charles took charge of the Bowling Green operation, Alfred the Oil Company, the bulk
plants and the farm business, and Ray stayed at Fifth and Georgia until he retired in
In 1957 the Shell Agency in Hannibal was acquired from Miller Brothers along with their
bulk plant in Oakwood, tank trucks and equipment, farm and commercial trade.
Subsequently, the three Shell stations in Hannibal along with one at Palmyra were
In Louisiana they took over the Sinclair Stations at the bridge and on South Highway 79,
bought the Standard Oil bulk plants in Louisiana and Clarksville, and built a new office,
warehouse, and bulk plant on property south of town on Highway 79.
Alfred retired and Charles became President and sole owner and operator of Abel Oil
Company. At this time, Nancy S. Abel became secretary.
In the mid 1970's, Abel Oil Company began an expansion program designed to acquire
additional gasoline stations or to utilize presently owned stations for the purpose of
converting them for use as "convenience stores". By September of 1980, with the
opening of business at a newly acquired and remodeled location at Elsberry, Missouri,
the company was operating six of these stores. Plans were to continue the expansion
program at the rate of approximately two stores per year.
In 1980 James H. Redhage was made vice-president with Charles M. Abel continuing as
President and Nancy S. Abel as secretary.
The 1980’s brought significant expansion for Abel Oil Company in the relatively new
convenience store industry. In the spring of 1982, property was acquired and business
began in Vandalia, Missouri. Paris, Missouri followed in the fall of 1982. The balance of
the 80’s saw Abel Oil Company add 2 locations in Louisiana, 2 in Hannibal and a
location in Monroe City. In November of 1986, company co-founder and owner, Charles
M. Abel, died unexpectedly. Nancy S. Abel continued as Corporate Secretary and sole
owner. James H. Redhage was named President and Charles and Nancy’s son, Mark M.
Abel was named Vice-President.
Continued expansion in the 1990’s added locations in New London, New Florence and 2
locations in Mexico. In the late 90’s, all locations were remodeled and re-imaged to the
current Shell image standards. These renovations included a complete rebuild of the
Vandalia and Palmyra locations. In 1993, Randall Anderson joined the management of
Abel Oil as the CFO and Corporate treasurer.
A location was added at Wright City in 2001 and a fourth location in Hannibal opened in
May of 2005. Currently, the company operates 19 convenience stores, a bulk plant at its
home office in Louisiana, its own fuel transportation fleet of 3 transports and has an
employment of over 200 people.
In November 2008, James H Redhage died after a battle with colan cancer. Charles
and Nancy’s son, Mark M. Abel was named President
and Randall L Anderson was named Vice President and will continue
In May 2012, Joe's Jug in Louisiana, Missouri was acquired by Abel Oil Company. The
Phillips 66 station was converted to a Shell Station.